Saturday, February 22, 2020

How I Write II

I've had a few positive reactions on my "How I write" post, so here's a bit more.

This afternoon a thought came into my head, I opened an email, and typed it up. It was only a few sentences, was straightforward and deliberate. I wrote it, read through it once, and posted it. I didn't feel it needed heavy pondering or that I might have more to say were I to let it marinate. Have thought, record thought, post thought.

It doesn't always work this way. I have lots of ideas listed here and there. And lots of unfinished would-be posts. I wrote two yesterday. 

My intention is to revisit them, read them through and finish my thought. Or decide that it doesn't need finishing. Or decide it isn't what I intended and let it rot in an unfinished folder. That's not to say that I'm 100% satisfied with every post; I'm not.

The longer stories usually take a few sessions. Especially if I don't have a definitive plot line. If I'm telling you what happened moment to moment, and I remember well, those usually flow pretty easily. That Ollie post was written with ease shortly after it happened, a couple of details added later. The skiing story took several days and a bunch of read-throughs to feel like I covered what I wanted. 

Even now I'm thinking, Have I said what I intended? I think so. I'll come back after dinner.

Also, I have a few stories in inventory, to be (probably) posted at a later date. And some that are just for me, or a limited audience, because I wanted to put them on paper.

That's enough; I've made my point.

No comments:

Post a Comment