Monday, March 3, 2014

Draw Your Own Conclusions

I went to the doctor’s the other day.  We thought I might have strep throat and decided to see the on-call doctor, it being a Saturday.  I called ahead, providing my name and the reason for my visit. 

A few minutes after my arrival, I was called upon by a nurse who walked me down the hall, stopping to weigh me before sitting me in a chair in an examination room to ask me the reason for my visit.  I told her I had never had strep throat but that having seen my throat, my girlfriend thought I should get it checked out.  She said nothing but proceeded to take my blood pressure, and swab my throat.  I was told that the doctor would be in shortly.

When the doctor arrived he asked me the same questions and felt my throat for swelling.  He then sat down, laptop in hand, and asked me if I had any health problems, or maybe he said medical conditions.  I looked at him and said, “Well, I have ALS.  But other than that, no,” and smiled.  “Oh” he said, looking as if he was trying to conceal his surprise.  “Are you taking any medications at this point?”  After providing him with the names of my medications he instructed me to get up and onto the examination table.  I stood up and looked blankly at the table until he offered me a stool.  I stepped on the stool, grabbing the table with both hands, and climbed on, shifting my weight away from the edge, squirming into a stable position.

The doctor listened to my breathing, used a flashlight to take a look at my throat, and told me I didn’t have strep throat.  He checked his laptop for the results of my throat swab, (“just to confirm”) saw that they weren’t available yet, and told me I could get down.  He had moved the footstool away and after a few moments of watching my hesitation, offered it back to me.  I climbed down and he left the room to confirm the swab results. 

He came back and confirmed that it was only a virus and that I would be fine.  He told me of several remedies for the pain in my throat and after a brief discussion, sent me on my way.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know what to think of this doctor. He seems like a d-bag. But on a happier note, I am glad that it was only viral. I hope that you're feeling better. Miss you Natty!

    ReplyDelete