Friday, August 28, 2020

What do you think?

I've been writing a lot of stories for my book: trying to remember the details, researching the dates, and describing how I felt. 

Sidebar, if you're driving down a dirt road and you see someone in a wheelchair stopped on the side of the road waiting for you to pass, slow down; I can't jump out of the way.

Like stories for my blog, I've focused on what happened, and what was going through my head when it happened. But I haven't discussed how it makes me feel now, looking back on it. And I think that's a big part of the overall picture.

I spent a few days writing about a canoe camping trip in 2010. It's a story I've meant to write for a while, and for this purpose I tried to keep it short, though it turned out longer. I think back on those days and there's so much to say.

Over the years I've had more and more things taken from me. Last year it was my house and car. Before that it was walking long distances, or really anywhere outside. Before that it was hiking, and biking, and running, and skiing, and golfing, and drinking at a bar, and so many other things. 


Don't you want to be there?


I've been feeling trapped, anxious, and frustrated. I need to get away. I need to unplug. I look back on four days in the woods, paddling a canoe, making camp each day. Moving from Point A to Point B without smartphones and newsfeeds and Facebook and email and all the other BS that makes up daily life.

I can't put into words how much I miss times like that. The last thing I lost that came anywhere near that sense of freedom, of independence, was driving. After I couldn't run, or bike, or walk in any meaningful way, I could still drive. I've talked about that feeling you get after a hard workout or competition. I think the feeling I got driving the country roads alone in the middle of the afternoon, or pounding down a dirt road with high beams blazing through the night; I think that's the last time I felt anything like that.

What do you think? In a book about the past, does it make sense to reflect in the present? I've already given a sense of the present, specifically with the phrase "I don't remember..." in place of a detail. But I've tried to keep the reader in the moment. Should I? Do you really want me to reflect on the story you've just finished reading? Hmm, I don't know; I need your help.

13 comments:

  1. Love that you are writing this book! I find the way you write your stories to be captivating. There are times when the reflection or “feelings” piece may seem to be missing a bit, but I think if you included that in all of your stories it may impact your writing style to the point where it isn’t “you”...maybe there is a way to have some reflection points throughout the book, but not in every story? Regardless, super excited that you are putting this together. Love you buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that's good advice. I can probably reflect on some of the stories towards the end of the book, you know, like an episode of the wonder years.

      Delete
  2. I love that you are writing this book too!! Count me in for the pre-order!! I agree that your feelings are so important. I believe that they can add context and a unique perspective on things that happened. Let your personality shine through. Feelings and perspective are the real things that give the reader an idea of who you are. I also strongly believe that reflection in the present on things that have happened in the past make what you are feeling now feel even more relevant and important <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also am putting my pre-order in. The courage you show in your writing is what keeps me reading your stories. I think as a writer you need to be true and honest to yourself first. That being said to get the true spirit of the story I think it is important to know the feelings as you write it. If you wrote them when it was happening you would not need that. However since you are writing years after the fact it would be great to know the feelings or the "why". Why has it inspired you to add it in or why looking back is it important? Your feelings now are what is inspiring you to include them to your book so I feel it is an important piece of the puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time Laura. Any story I include should serve a purpose, I think that purpose should be clear without getting too into explaining why. But I do agree that my perspective now is important, and really is driving all of my decisions. I just don't want to write "looking back..." repeatedly, I think that would get tiresome.

      Delete
  4. Good for you rising to the challenge of writing the book. I also echo what people have said and really enjoy your storytelling. I think sharing your feelings and looking back on your experiences is absolutely necessary to include (how/when you include that I'm not sure...) One of the things i realize as i get older is that although we are ultimately the same person inside, you cant deny that events throughout our lives shape us and allow us to evolve. You have been through one of the biggest challenges anyone could ever face and you have an incredibly important and valuable story to tell. People will undoubtedly benefit from reading it. Looking forward to catching up one of these days and getting a copy of the book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do often think of who I am and who I might otherwise be. I don't want to get too bogged down in philosophy but I think I need to cover that. I think a lot of the reflection may have to wait until the end of the book. Or maybe at the end of each chapter. Good to hear from you brother, hit me up next time you're in the area.

      Delete
  5. Good for you rising to the challenge of writing the book. I also echo what people have said and really enjoy your storytelling. I think sharing your feelings and looking back on your experiences is absolutely necessary to include (how/when you include that I'm not sure...) One of the things i realize as i get older is that although we are ultimately the same person inside, you cant deny that events throughout our lives shape us and allow us to evolve. You have been through one of the biggest challenges anyone could ever face and you have an incredibly important and valuable story to tell. People will undoubtedly benefit from reading it. Looking forward to catching up one of these days and getting a copy of the book!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe you have a section at the end of each story called “Looking Back”. The reader can choose to read it or not. I like to read a story and try to understand why the author wrote it...their perspective. By Looking Back you save me the step of wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe you have a section at the end of each story called “Looking Back”. The reader can choose to read it or not. I like to read a story and try to understand why the author wrote it...their perspective. By Looking Back you save me the step of wondering...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to spoon feed everything but I think I have a good idea how to include reflections here and there. Thanks for the input!

      Delete