Sunday, October 18, 2020

The Future is No Place to Place your Better Days

On a walk in the neighborhood behind Dorset Park, I saw two kids on skateboards in the street. A girl and a boy, 8 and 10, stood still by the bend in the road as I approached in my chair on the sidewalk. Both of them watched carefully as I passed.

I wanted to talk to them; I wanted to tell them so many things it almost brought me to tears. The kinds of things that I wish I'd heard, really heard, growing up and throughout life.

Have fun. Be kids. Appreciate everything you can do, because there may come a day when it's taken away. I used to be like you.

Go inside; tell your parents what I'm saying. Live your lives. Think about what's happening in your life and whether you want something different. It's okay to be afraid. Talk about your fears with your family and friends; bring them out in the open and see if they are real or imagined. You don't know everything: don't be afraid to ask questions, and listen to the answers. Don't let your fear of embarrassment make decisions in your life. Trust your instincts: go for it. You don't want to end up like me, full of regrets; I can promise you that. 

I want to tell every kid, from grade school to college and beyond, all of the lessons I learned too late. Every day I wish I had a second chance. Though you've likely never given it any thought, there might not be another day. Today is the day.

3 comments:

  1. "Talk about your fears with your family and friends; bring them out in the open and see if they are real or imagined." I am literally just learning the sweet relief of this right now. I kept so much in as a child I should have just talked to someone about. Love your words Nate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think growing up as a boy, I was taught to not show fear, to always be guarded and protect myself. Maybe especially because I was always the little kid. And while I developed strength and independence, I didn't learn how to ask questions, show vulnerability, or talk about my thoughts and feelings. I think of how people say to Be Strong in difficult times, and what? keep everything in? I think it takes more strength, and does a whole lot more good, to let things out.

      Delete