Friday, April 11, 2014

Moron Drugs

Have you seen those drug commercials where the spokesman warns of possible involuntary muscle movements?  He urges those experiencing this side effect to call their doctor immediately “as they may become permanent”.  This is somewhat shocking to me, (almost as much as the drug which warns not to combine with grapefruit or its juice).  As an aside I also like the drug that “may cause diarrhea” which is normal, or “severe diarrhea” which requires you call your doctor immediately.  You could also stop taking prescription-strength laxatives and instead eat something that doesn’t turn your insides to cement.

Back to my point, I experience these sorts of uncontrolled muscle movements often and it goes without saying that you don’t want to.  My latest annoyance; off and on over the past few days my right pinky has enjoyed jumping around and straightening itself every few seconds.  Most of the time these types of things are merely an annoyance, except when I’d like to be sleeping.

It’s amazing the casual nature with which this severe side effect is stated in the commercial.  Of course the drug company is a) required to state the known side effects (though it appears not all of them) and b) would rather not cause more alarm than necessary.  But I still find it distressing.  As far as I’m concerned most drug commercials should say “Taking this drug will fuck with your body in ways you couldn’t have imagined before.  Good luck!”

No comments:

Post a Comment