Saturday, June 20, 2015

a gallon of milk weighs 8 pounds

Usually I like to write about the slightly abstract, the less than obvious aspects of my life.  But I could tell you all about it, my experiences, moment by moment.  I could tell you how difficult it is.  I could describe in detail what it's like every day.  Let me try for a moment.

I woke up this morning and realized I was in the middle of the bed.  I had to decide whether to move left or right to get up.  I shifted my body slightly to the right and pulled at the covers to escape.  I pulled my right elbow away from my body and rolled onto it to prop myself up.  It’s not easy on my right side.  My shoulder is very weak.  Lifting my arm is almost impossible.  Once propped on my elbow I used my left arm to push away and lift my torso to the vertical.  I sat on the edge of the bed for a moment, stood up and bent over to grab a pair of sweat pants on the floor.  I backed up a few steps and sat back down on the bed to pull them on.  

I sleep in a shirt most nights.  It’s easier not to take my shirt off at night and put one back on in the morning.  I don't wear socks around the house unless I get too cold.  It’s one more hassle.  I rarely shower first thing in the morning.  I don't really have the energy. 

This is how I think.  Every action is taken with thought.  How I sit, how I stand, how I brush my teeth.  Every menial task comes with thought and effort.

A gallon of milk weighs 8 pounds.  It feels like 50.

No comments:

Post a Comment