Saturday, February 13, 2016

I wrote this a few years ago; back when I could still type, with all of my fingers

How many times have you heard the phrase, “At Least You Have Your Health”? Have you ever thought anything of it? Chances are that unless you or a loved one has had a serious health issue, you’ve never given the idea much thought. But inevitably as you’ve gotten older, and more experienced with the fragility of human life, you’ve thought about your health more and more. Good health is one of those areas in life that is often taken for granted.

You may be thinking to yourself as you read this, “I don’t take it for granted. I work hard at it. I have a healthy diet, and I stay in shape.” Not to oversimplify, but you may think that if you take care of yourself, you will continue to be as healthy today as you were yesterday. And if something gets in the way, you’ll work through it; surely enough hard work can beat whatever life may throw at you.

We’re always seeing stories of hope, stories of revival. Time and again we see people fight through the worst and return to full health, reinforcing the dream that with enough determination, we can get through anything.

But of course life isn’t fair. Bad things happen to good people. And all we can do is try our best to deal with it.

Any time there’s something you don’t want to do, stop and try to appreciate the fact that you can do it. That is, you are able to do it. Next time you shovel the driveway and you have that tired, satisfied feeling when you’ve finished, well, just try to enjoy that feeling.

2 comments:

  1. Nater, I always meant to tell you this but forgot. I made my two sons, ages 8 and 11, read this post after they overly complained about me making them shovel off our outdoor rink. It was the reference to shoveling that made me remember it, and after they read it, I answered the questions they had about you and why you were compelled to write this. It sunk in with both of them, so I owe you thanks for your role in teaching them one of the most important lessons they'll ever learn.

    ReplyDelete