Saturday, August 10, 2019

I wrote this several years ago, guess I never shared

It’s never good news when your doctor schedules your appointment on her day off.  I should have known that going in. After several months of tests, questions, and doctor visits, this is what it came to.  My mother and I waited for someone to call us in, and tell us something, anything.
I had no idea what to expect.  Recently I had two tests done, and afterwards one of the doctors looked me in the eye and with a very serious, sentimental tone, told me this could be something very serious.  That was the only clue I had for what was to come.
Within a minute or so of being called into her office, the doctor gave us the news.  It was ALS she said. And immediately she began to tell us what that meant. She tried to soften the blow by relating the story of a friend of hers who had recently been diagnosed with a far more severe manifestation of the disease,  implying that I was lucky in some way. It’s funny how people try to relate by letting you know that they know someone with the same problems. All I can remember thinking the whole time she related stories about her friend was, great I don’t give a shit, or something to that effect. 
She told me to be a couch potato.  She used those words.  

No comments:

Post a Comment