Thursday, January 9, 2020

Soon after my diagnosis, I started to take long walks with a friend. Because I was able to. We'd start at his place in Winooski, split a French press of coffee, and head out. It seems like it was always a nice day. 

We'd head down the hill to the circle, cross the bridge into Burlington, and start the hike up Colchester Avenue. We didn't always take that route; there wasn't really a destination, it was just something to do. At least a few times we made it downtown, to Church Street or the farmers' market for a bite, a beer, or a coffee.

We even hiked Camel's Hump. I fell a couple times, tore up my palm on a rock. A friend laughed at me; she thought I was just being clumsy, she didn't know. 

It's been a long time since I've done those things, and the simple joy of walking has escaped me. I resisted a wheelchair (and a power chair) for as long as I could because I saw them as a defeat. I'm just starting to embrace them now, and like a lot of things, I wonder why I waited so long. 

I look forward to driving (driving?!) my power chair as many places as I can. I can see myself cruising around the waterfront. I wonder if it would make it up Mount Philo. I never get stuff to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment