Friday, March 20, 2020

On Validation

A few years ago I saw an interview with former Cleveland Browns star (really, it was a long time ago), actor, and civil rights activist Jim Brown. Among other things, he was asked about the state of race relations in the country. In the course of his answer, he got into an area I found fascinating. He explained that people think that black men need to seek validation from society. He said that he, as a man (grown man, adult) didn't need anyone to validate him. As in, I know who I am, I don't care what you think. 

Don't assume that anyone needs your validation. A stranger is not serving you. At the same time, look inward, know who you are. Be confident in that person. Listen to those close to you. It's not ego. Ego needs stroking. It's simply having the confidence to know who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment