Friday, November 22, 2013

In a Moment

At a stoplight I saw a man in the back of a Ryder moving truck full of Christmas wreathes.  The back door was open, stairs down as he stood in the truck bay rearranging them.  I waited for the light to turn and watched as the truck shifted into gear and began to pull away, off to make another delivery.  The man took casual hold of one of the wooden racks that held the wreathes, like a standing passenger grabs a pole as the bus rounds a corner. 

He wore a red Marlboro sweatshirt and blue jeans.  I found myself wondering if anyone buys Marlboro apparel, or if it is all free with proof of purchase.  I began to imagine what else one might find in the Marlboro catalog.  Baseball caps and Starter jackets I suppose; maybe NASCAR merchandise back when it was the Winston Cup.  Most importantly, does the catalog include cigarettes or smokeless tobacco?  If you can buy beer with beer cans, can you buy tobacco products with tobacco products?  I bet not; after smoking twenty cartons and saving each proof of purchase, who would choose a sweatshirt over another carton?

The sight may have made me think of Christmas, but all I could focus on was the sweatshirt.   

No comments:

Post a Comment