Monday, November 4, 2013

Social Norms

It's strange how once people have made an acknowledgment of someone's condition, loss, or bad circumstance, it is almost never brought up again.

I'm not sure that I want to talk about it, in fact most of the time I'm sure I don't, but I'm fascinated by the behavior.

Maybe there's never a good time to ask.  In fact I know there's never a good time.

Maybe they don't know what to say.  Ask me whatever you want, sometimes your questions entertain.

Maybe having acknowledged the situation, and offered to be there, they have passed the burden back to you.  Anyone who feels this way either doesn't get it, or doesn't care.

Maybe they have a difficult time talking about it, want to ignore it, or are afraid to get emotional.  No shit.   It's not always about you.  Maybe it's time to put on your big boy pants.

I'm not telling you to open up, to care, or to do anything you don't want to.  But I can't ignore it, and sometimes it bothers me that you can.

4 comments:

  1. thanks for the insight. I'm thinking some of us thought you'd want us to treat you like Nate, not Nate with ALS. I guess that IS Nate. x0x0x0 Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post! Very thought provoking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. love reading your writing my dear. you are very talented. i feel you on people not wanting to talk about "the elephant in the room" with you. i used to get pissed (and sometimes still do) when people would stare at my burned leg and ask melinda or sam what happened instead of me. these days i hope that they will come and ask me so that i can educate them about how its ok to ask (i love it when they do!) but sometimes that doesnt happen. oh well! either way, miss you and hope to see you over xmas!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So well written, Natty.. you amaze me with each and every one of your posts. You are an exceptional writer and person... I miss you... better see your face soon!

    ReplyDelete