Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Superpowers

Everyone in the world either wants to be noticed or wants to be invisible.  Most fall somewhere in between.

I heard a segment on NPR in which folks were asked if they'd rather have the power of flight or the power of invisibility.  The answers and analysis that followed drilled deep into the human psyche; a depth I’d rather not get into.  But in the broadest form, the analysis went as follows; some want to be noticed and some want not to be noticed.  The prideful choose to fly; the shameful to be invisible.

I'm not sure I was ever truly a flier, but I certainly never would have chosen invisibility.  What sort of life is that?  By definition, you are nothing.

But now I'm not so sure.  Most days I'd rather go unnoticed, if only because I think it means I'm blending in.  Sticking out in a crowd can be viewed in a positive light, but if you feel you are sticking out for all the wrong reasons, it can be difficult to see things this way.  Normal is a floor (something to fall back on) for some, a ceiling (something to aspire to) for others.

I find myself wondering what's on people's minds when they see me.  They must be wondering why this or why that.  I think about it a lot.  Maybe it’d be easier if I were invisible.  

4 comments:

  1. Nate, I look at you and see a handsome, intelligent, witty, young man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't take this the wrong way because I am not trying to say I know what you are going through or even pretend to get how difficult it is... but sometimes we get obsessed with what we think others are thinking of us. When I was pregnant and running I would get these thoughts that every car that passed either thought "you go girl" or "why are you running, you are going to harm your baby". Now I realize most people probably didn't even see me or care. The details, the small things, are not really noticed. I think this quote applies to most social situations. Even for those people with disabilities, visible illness and other things that set them apart. “You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.”
    ― Eleanor Roosevelt
    And for those that do know you, yes we do look for signs that you are getting 'worse' because we love you and don't want that to happen. But then we move forward, and we also, mostly, see you for you. See you as Natty. When you look at others what do you see? The big picture right? It works both ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicely put New Duds. What do you see when you look at me Nate, an old woman, wait , don't answer that! x0x00x0x0xx0x0x0x0x0 Jayne

      Delete
  3. I see the witty, sarcastic, handsome Natty that I've always known and love :)

    ReplyDelete